Robert Buckland, Secretary of State for Justice, has announced today that the drastic planned probate fee increase has been ‘scrapped’ and will be withdrawn from parliament.
For more details on what the proposals were, please read on below.
The proposed increase sought to remove the current fixed fee of £215 for a personal application and £155 for an application by a solicitor, and instead imposed a stratified fee dependent on the assessed value of an estate:
- £250 for estates valued between £50,000 and £300,000
- £750 for estates valued between £300,000 to £500,000
- £2,500 for estates values between £500,000 and £1 million
- £4,000 for estates valued between £1 million and £1.6 million
- £5,000 for estates valued between £1.6 million and £2 million
- £6,000 for estates valued at £2 million or more.